In a major move to link documents with Aadhar Card, the government has initiated a drive to link aadhar with a ration card.
The ration card as a document is the oldest proof of residence used in India and linking it with aadhar will help to receive an array of benefits apart from preventing cases of fraud.
The linking of aadhaar with ration can be done both online and offline.
Link Aadhar to Ration Card – Offline
Follow the simple steps to link your aadhar card with ration card:
- Visit the nearest Public Distribution System (PDS) Centre or Ration Shop
- Carry photocopies of both aadhar card of all your family members, a passport-sized photo of the head of the family and ration card.
- If in case, if your bank account is still not linked with aadhar, then submit a copy of your passbook.
- Submit all the relevant documents at the PDS shop along with a copy of aadhar card number.
- The concerned officials will ask for the biometric details (fingerprints) verification for Aadhaar authentication.
- After submission of documents, an SMS notification will be sent to the registered mobile number in Aadhaar and you will receive another SMS notification upon the successful linking of both the documents.
Link Aadhar to Ration Card – Online
Follow the below-mentioned steps to link aadhar with ration card through online mode:
- Visit the official web portal of Aadhar Card – UIDAI webpage
- Click on the ‘Start Now’ option.
- Proceed further and enter your address details – district and state.
- Select the benefit type as ‘Ration Card’ from the available options
- Choose the scheme name as ‘Ration Card’.
- Enter the ration card number, your aadhaar number, e-mail address and mobile number.
- A one-time password (OTP) will be sent to your mobile number and the same has to be entered in the form.
- Enter the OTP, post which you will get a notification which will appear informing the completion of your application process
- Post this, your application will be verified and post successful verification your aadhar card will be linked to your ration card.
Advantages of Linking Aadhar to Ration Card
- Elimination of duplicate ration cards
- Linking of unique aadhar card with ration card check the fraudulent activities.
- Issue of multiple ration cards under a single name can be cancelled.
- Biometric enabled distribution system will help the PDS to identify the genuine beneficiaries and thus helps in streamlining the benefits accordingly.
- Diversion and leakage of PDS ration can be restrained.
- Aadhar card helps in creating an audit trail in the PDS thus identifying and eliminating corrupt middlemen and this helps in adding efficiency in the framework.
Documents Required for Linking Aadhar to Ration Card
- Passport size photograph of the head of the family
- Photocopies of Aadhaar of all the family members
- Photocopy of Aadhaar of the head of the family
- Photocopy of Ration card along with the original card (for verification)
- Bank Passbook copy, if in the case bank account is not linked to aadhaar card
Ration Card is a document which is issued by the respective State Governments in India and it serves as a proof of nationality to the holders. It acts as an important document which serves as an identity proof and also indicates an individuals economic status. It is a voluntary document and is not a mandatory one for every resident Indian to possess one. The holders of ration card are eligible to purchase subsidized food grains from the Public Distribution System (under the National Food Security Act).
This ration cards have multiple categories and are issued based on the earning capacity of the individuals. Different states have different schemes and are issued to the holders based on the annual income of the holder, total members in a family and so on.
As per the National Food Security Act (NFSA), all the state governments in the country should identify those households which are eligible for purchasing subsidized food grains from the Public Distribution System and should provide them with ration cards. Currently, there are two types of ration cards under the NFSA.
Type of Ration Card
Priority Ration Card – This type of ration card is issued to those households which meet the eligibility criteria as set by the respective state government. Each household is eligible to get 5 kilograms of food grains per member.
Antyodaya (AAY) – This ration card is issued to those households who are categorized as the “poorest of poor”. Each AAY households are eligible to secure 35 kilograms of food grains.
Note: Those who have a higher earning capacity as predetermined by the respective state government cannot obtain rations at a subsidized cost.